The Transylvania Trust, responsible for the restoration and revitalisation of Bánffy Castle, Bonțida, Romania, invites you, between 29 July and 11 August 2018, to take part in a “hands-on” learning experience in the field of historic building conservation.
Transylvania Trust has been organising training projects since 2001 to address the lack of craftsmen and professionals in the field of historic building conservation. So far approximately 2500 participants from around 26 countries (Romania, Albania, Australia, Brazil, Belgium, France, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, etc.) have participated in our international training courses.
Who can apply?
The international restoration workshop is aimed especially at undergraduate students in Architecture, Structural Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Archaeology, History of Art, and other related fiels. The workshop can also be attended by craftsmen who seek to specialise in the restoration of historic buildings, but our training course is open to anybody interested in the field of historic building conservation, or who wishes to acquire practical knowledge related to traditional building crafts.
The two-week international training course offers the opportunity:
- to learn the theoretical principles and methodology of investigation and restoration from qualified lecturers, as well as traditional building craft skills through direct, “hands-on” learning,
- to work on a real restoration site along with a team of craftsmen experienced in this field and to contribute to the restoration of Bánffy Castle,
- to meet people from a variety of professional and cultural backgrounds, widening one’s understanding of the field through interdisciplinary and intercultural dialogue,
- to learn more about Transylvania, to discover the built and cultural heritage of the region and Cluj-Napoca, through the study field trip, respectively a free day on the first weekend.
At the end of the workshop, participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- Theoretical training on the first day of the worksop. The lectures delivered by qualified lecturers from Romania and abroad will be translated simultaneously to Romanian, Hungarian, and English.
- Practical training with the guidance of specialised craftsmen, focusing on 3 main areas:
1. Structural interventions in historic buildings: vault restoration and rendering (9 days), mural decorations and specialised techniques (fresco, secco, sgraffito, stucco – 2 days),
3. Traditional joinery and furniture restoration.
- Study field trip related to the built heritage of the region.
The registration fee is 300 euro per student (a contribution towards tuition, accommodation, and catering costs, which are offered on the castle grounds).
The deadline for application is 1st March 2018.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Transylvania Trust Foundation
Transylvania Trust Foundation